Manohari Devi Kanoi Girls' College
Affiliated to Dibrugarh University
Ø The Dibrugarh town has a glorious background in the history of women’s education in N. E. India. It was in Dibrugarh that the first Girls’ High School was established in Assam in the year 1885, which is now known as Dibrugarh Govt. Girls’ Higher Secondary and multi - purpose school. Before the establishment of this school, girls had to go outside Assam to complete High School with the help of scholarship granted by the State Government.
In 1945 with the establishment of the Dibrugarh College (renamed D. H. S. K. College) higher education was brought within easy reach of the local people and many girl students enrolled. Gradually the number of girl students increased manifold that the idea of a separate college for women was mooted. Soon the idea was translated into action. The birth of M.D.K.G.College can be traced to a Governing Body meeting of D.H.S.K.College, held on 29th August 1960. In the meeting, the members of the Governing Body which was chaired by Hanuman Bux Kanoi stressed on the establishment of a Women’s College in Dibrugarh. The Chairman assured that he would bear the cost of the building’s construction if the college would be named after his wife, Manohari Devi Kanoi. Thereafter, a Sponsoring Committee was formed and the process for establishing the college began.. The college started functioning on 5th July 1963 under the principalship of Dr. Jogiraj Basu, noted Oriental scholar and classes were held in the morning in DHSK college premises. The college offering Arts stream shifted to its present campus in 1965, where classes were held in a DFO Bungalow. Starting with the total strength of 215 the college has now an enrolment of approximately 1800 students. It is affiliated to Dibrugarh University and its Higher Secondary Course is recognised by Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, AHSEC. It is an UGC recognized college under section 2(f) and 12(B).
Ø M.D.K.G.College embarked on a new journey with the laying of the foundation stone for a new building in the first week of July 2011 in its second campus. It was decided that in order to bridge the gap of women education in science, the college would introduce Science stream in the second campus from the academic session 2016-17. Thus, under the initiative of the present Principal, a new state-of-the-art building was constructed. Accordingly, classes started in the later part of June 2016 with 119 students. At present, the college has 20 subjects, viz, Assamese, Bengali, Botany, Chemistry, Computer Science, Economics, Education, English, Geography, Hindi, History, Home Science, Mathematics, Philosophy, Physics, Political Science, Sanskrit, Sociology, Statistics and Zoology. Major is offered in 15 subjects. The faculty members (42 permanent and 14 temporary) are highly qualified with 19 teachers having Ph.D. and 13 teachers having M.Phil degrees. A significant number of teachers are pursuing their Ph.D. The college is supported by a team of dedicated teaching and non-teaching staff. The college has been accredited by NAAC on 2004 and 2011 with B++ and B (CGPA 2.9) grades respectively.
Ø The empowerment of students through a holistic approach towards their overall development is our motto. Over the years, the college has been successful in producing students who have performed extremely well in the university examinations and have opted for higher education. Furthermore, the college boasts of an illustrious alumna serving not only the country but also spread far and wide. The teachers have contributed towards the enhancement of the academic and the general excellence of the institution and towards making the college achieve its present reputation.
Ø The college organizes various symposia, workshops, seminars, special talks, awareness and sesitisation programmes, camps etc. through its various cells, committees and clubs. The college also holds a number of career counseling programmes every year for making the students aware of different career opportunities after completion of their UG studies.
The college is centrally located at Kadamoni 11/2 K.M. from the Dibrugarh Railway Station and the city is well connected by roads, railways & airways.
Website Visit - mdkgcollege.edu.in
Copyright (C) 2016 MDKG College All Right Reserved
Socialize With Us