Welcome to Manohari Devi Kanoi Girls' College
The Dibrugarh town has a glorious background in the history of women’s education in N. E. India. It was in Dibrugarh that the first Girls’ High School was established in Assam in the year 1885, which is now known as Dibrugarh Govt. Girls’ Higher Secondary and multi-purpose school. Before the establishment of this school, girls had to go outside Assam to complete High School with the help of scholarship granted by the State Government.
College Started & Functioning
The college started functioning on 5th July 1963 under the principalship of Dr. Jogiraj Basu, noted Oriental scholar and classes were held in the morning in DHSK college premises. The college offering Arts stream shifted to its present campus in 1965, where classes were held in a DFO Bungalow. Starting with the total strength of 215 the college has now an enrolment of approximately 1800 students. It is affiliated to Dibrugarh University and its Higher Secondary Course is recognised by Assam Higher Secondary Education Council, AHSEC. It is an UGC recognized college under section 2(f) and 12(B).
Science stream in the second campus
M.D.K.G.College embarked on a new journey with the laying of the foundation stone for a new building in the first week of July 2011 in its second campus. It was decided that in order to bridge the gap of women education in science, the college would introduce Science stream in the second campus from the academic session 2016-17. Thus, under the initiative of the present Principal, a new state-of-the-art building was constructed. Accordingly, classes started in the later part of June 2016 with 119 students.